Grow Up at Your Own Pace
Roedean Moira House Junior School is a creative and vibrant learning environment, designed for teaching, learning and the development of children from Nursery and Reception up to Year 6. The girls here have the space and time to grow up at their own pace; they are free from distraction and external expectations, and they engage brilliantly with an education which is focused on their needs and learning styles.
Non-selective at entry, Roedean Moira House takes pride in bringing the Roedean educational model to families in Eastbourne, by providing outstanding pastoral care within a challenging curriculum that also offers a wide range of inspiring co-curricular opportunities. Within small class-sizes, girls are taught and encouraged to excel using the EYFS Curriculum in Reception, followed by the enhanced National Curriculum from Year 1.
An Adventurous Curriculum
This is an exciting time to be at Roedean Moira House Junior School. We have been developing our curriculum to maximise opportunities to develop essential childhood skills through lessons and exploratory learning that stimulates, engages and excites within our widely varied and incredible local environment. Therefore, within the curriculum we are incorporating:
- Adventurous experiences to become healthy, resilient and independent (including scheduled Outdoor Adventurous Activities, using the South Downs on our doorstep, along with our own beautiful grounds)
- A learning environment free from distraction with excellent standards of behaviour and outstanding pastoral care
- High quality teaching and learning including challenge and the chance to develop core skills
- Small class sizes
- A nurturing educational environment
- The chance to be part of a 'complete journey' at Roedean Moira House up to Year 13, along with the wider partnership opportunities provided by the Roedean Group of Schools
- Increased daily and weekly Sport, Music, Arts, Drama, Dance, and outdoor activities within the timetable
- Flexible lesson timings to allow for Learning Journeys and age-appropriate learning times.
- Specialist teaching in specialist curriculum areas
- The Roedean Moira House Diploma
Beyond the Classroom
As well as sports fixtures each week, the girls are offered a wide range of enrichment opportunities as part of their daily timetable. These include Swim Squad and Recreational Swimming, Dance, Tennis and multi-skills, Hockey, Running, Gymnastics, Science Explosion, Cookery, Drama, Pets Corner, Choir, Library Skills, Chess, Musical Theatre*, Music Club, Junior Rock Band, Archery* and Fencing*. (*Additional fees apply.) Each activity is designed to develop skills and experience in the following six areas: engagement with the wider world, the curiosity needed to try new things, compassion for others, encouraging independence of character, a positive approach to education, and the confidence to challenge yourself to succeed.
Our girls look forward to coming to school in the morning, and our Wrap-Around Care, from 8am to 6pm and included in our fees, is an extension of the family atmosphere that we provide in the Junior School. After School Care until 6pm gives the girls the opportunity to do independent study, to play games with younger pupils or simply relax with friends. Flexible pick-up times up to 6pm mean you can be confident of your child's care without the anxiety of extra charges.
When you go to this school, you want to be here because it's a fabulous place to be...All the teachers are really nice.
– Rosie, Year 5
'Nothing short of a miracle', said one parent, describing the transformation of his shy daughter to 'outgoing'; she even 'performs on stage'.
– Good Schools Guide Review 2018